Johnny Utah is a 3x World Champion BASE jumper with 2,800+ BASE jumps in the 33 years of his BASE career, setting 10 BASE World Records. In Skydiving Johnny Utah is a World Champion Wingsuit pilot with 7,700+ skydives in the 36 years of his skydiving career, setting 4 Skydiving World Records. Johnny has been teaching BASE jumping for 25 years and has developed very effective teaching methods. He was the first to begin teaching BASE First Jump Courses at the Perrine Bridge, whereby he conceived and developed an innovative approach to teaching a BASE FJC. He coined the term BASE Camp as a name fitting for his more involved longer BASE jumping courses which give his students a higher level of competency and solid foundation to build upon during their BASE career. Johnny Utah's BASE Camp (FJC) at the Perrine Bridge set the standard over 23 years ago for BASE courses all over the world, and for the last two decades BASE Camp continues to teach skydivers not only how to BASE jump, but how to become a solid BASE Jumper!
BASE Camp (FJC) is a comprehensive 4-day BASE First Jump Course (BFJC) held at the Perrine Bridge in Twin Falls, Idaho, and happens several times each year. It's intended for experienced skydivers with little or no BASE experience. The minimum skydiving experience required is 150 skydives.
(Experienced Paragliding Pilots may inquire about taking this course)
BASE Camp students are taught the fundamental aspects of the sport and will progress to advanced training during the course at each students own pace.
BASE Camp covers the following:
- BASE gear knowledge and proper gear setup
- Packing instruction
- Gear checks
- Jump Priorities
- Malfunctions and Emergency Procedures
- Heading Correction techniques
- Exit training and different exit methods
- Freefall Control
- Deployment methods and techniques
- Canopy Flight and Patterns
- Assessing wind and weather
- BASE ethics
- Information about jumping other objects
- Making good judgment calls
- Finding a mentor
The Perrine Bridge jump site is very forgiving making it an excellent place to learn. Here is why. The Perrine Bridge is a span bridge, 486 feet above very calm water with a large grassy landing area the size of a football field; and it's legal to jump all day. Once you fall away from this bridge, it is impossible to hit it, and 486 feet is a good height to learn from.
Upon signing up for the course, you will receive a BASE Packing Video to get you started at home (Both videos and course packet mentioned below are included with the course). The material in the videos and course packet will be fully covered during the FJC.
To attend BASE Camp, you must have skydiving experience. You must use BASE specific gear. Every student needs their own rig for the course. Gear rental is available.
- Johnny Utah's Packing Video - 1 hour 53 minute video - very detailed showing you step by step. It is sent to you beforehand for you to study and practice packing at home before BASE Camp.
- The Official Bridge Day Safety Video - 22 minute educational video shows many examples of common malfunctions and pilot errors
that can occur while BASE jumping. The examples shown are from 8 years of Bridge Days. During the course we will watch this video as we discuss emergency procedures, common malfunctions, and pilot errors. You will receive your own copy of this video as a DVD during the course.
- BASE CAMP (FJC) Course Packet - you will receive on the first day of the course
The course includes:
- BASE First Jump Course (BFJC)
- Packing Video sent to you in advance to practice packing before the course
- Bridge Day Safety Video
- BASE CAMP (FJC) Course Packet
- Packing instruction during BASE Camp
- Jump Mastering
- Video Debriefs
- Advanced Instruction (as you progress through the course)
As you progress through BASE Camp (FJC) - you will receive advanced instruction, training, and coaching from Johnny Utah!
Participants are responsible for their travel, lodging, and food.
BASE Camp (FJC) is an extensive 4-day course whereby you can expect to make 15+ jumps (weather depending of course). You will be coached and supervised while you pack each packjob you jump. This is an important aspect to learning how to pack effectively as you work towards opening-heading consistency.
The course fee is $1,195
We do have BASE rigs for rent and the cost is $50 per day.
Sign up now to reserve a slot in a 2021 upcoming BASE Camp FJC ($300 deposit reserves your slot)
The 2021 BASE Camps are:
Contact us to schedule a BASE FJC
To ask questions or sign up